×

Penana
search
Loginarrow_drop_down
Registerarrow_drop_down
Please use Chrome or Firefox for better user experience!
  • Writer
    Sarah Louise
    Sarah Louise
    Mentally living in the middle ages ~ Medieval, Tudor and early-modern history gal.

    Full-time history geek (MA student), gig goer, and lover of all things Lord of the Rings. For general updates, historical rants and the odd 'on-this-day' fact follow my secondary tumblr: whyisaravenlike-awritingdesk.tumblr.com
    See more
campaign Request update 0
The Light of the Pale Moon
G
2.5K
1
3
3.3K
1

"You think it's hard to be a king? Try being a king's brother for  a day."

Philippe d'Orleans had lived in the shadow of his eldest brother for as long as he could remember.
Suddenly elevated as the brother of the king at two years old, Philippe was taught and raised to always be second best to Louis, a king only two years his senior.

If it was hard to be the Sun King in seventeenth century France, it was even harder to be the boy behind the king, the child whose education was purposefully neglected in order to lessen the chances of him becoming rebellious, whose chances of any income were thwarted when he was made to pay the price for his uncle's rebelliousness, forcing him to rely upon the crown and the generosity of his brother for the remainder of his life. Forced to take second best to his brother, Philippe was the man who was not permitted to complain when the king bedded his wife, when the king exiled his lovers and when the king exiled him completely from government and politics.

If it was hard to be the Sun King, it was a thousand times harder to be his brother.

X