×

Penana
search
Loginarrow_drop_down
Registerarrow_drop_down
Please use Chrome or Firefox for better user experience!
  • Writer
    Reuben Shupp
    Reuben Shupp
    Reuben Shupp lives in Texas with his wife and two children. He is a Veteran of the Persian Gulf War. While serving in the Navy, he was able to see many different parts of the world.

    Mr. Shupp grew up in New Hampshire and Texas. His childhood memories are the premises for his stories. He is currently writing a nouvella about a vampire.

    The following is a set of author interview questions from Amy Shannon's website. You can see the full article with the images by copying and pasting the link.

    https://writeramyshannon.wixsite.com/amyshannonblog/post/featured-author-reuben-shupp

    Author Interview: Reuben Shupp

    Q: In three words, describe yourself.

    A: Tenacity, Perseverance, Patience

    Q: How many books have you written? How many of those are published?

    A: Over the past year, I have written and published two short story collections. “A Collection of Short Stories or Tales”

    “Creepy and Scary Tales: A Collection of Short Stories”

    Q: Do you have an upcoming release? If yes, tell me the title and impending release date.

    A: No upcoming release, but I am working on a new short story (“Vampire Juice”).

    Q: Tell me about how you come up with your titles for your stories. Do you create the title before or after you write the book, and does it ever change from the initial title?

    A: The titles for my stories derive from books, movies, or life experiences. When I was growing up, we lived by a steep bank. My dad was always telling my brother and I not to go down the bank. Of course we did. One winter, I could not climb up the bank to return home. I had to travel about a half mile before I found a place that I could easily climb. The title of this short story became “The Bank.”

    Q: Out of all your characters in all of your books, who/what (sometimes a setting can also be an important “character”) do you think is the most interesting and why?

    A: The setting for all my stories is a small town. Who would expect something horrible would happen in a small town? The characters feel safe. Then wham! Something turns their world upside down.

    Q: If you could “create” your own genre of what you write, what would you call your books?

    A: If I could create my own genre, I would call it “Terrible Trouble.”

    Q: Without quoting your back cover blurb, tell me about the last book you published.

    A: These are four scary and creepy short stories.

    “Harry”—A boy who explores the Spider House (Haunted House) at the fair. The next day, it disappears. Poof! The only evidence he has is a toy spider. Or is it?

    “One Summer Day”—Billy is playing in his baby pool when an aggressive dog approaches. He bangs on the door. No one answers. Billy hops the fence where it is safe. Or is it?

    “Flash”—A boy explores an old house and finds a Polaroid camera. He soon realizes it can turn living objects to stone. Is this a blessing or a curse?

    “Andrea”—Markus is the new kid. He encounters the town’s bully, Andrea. On the first day, she smashes Markus’s skateboard. The following day, Andrea scares off Markus’s new friend and deflates his new basketball. Does Markus continue to endure this abuse, or does he do something about it?

    Q: Quote your favorite line from one of your stories. Indicate the line, and then the book title.

    A: Brendan yells, “There she blows,” as we approach the Ferris Wheel. He points to Scott Hazelton. “I told ya. All the cool kids ride the Ferris Wheel.” I glance at the top of the Ferris Wheel. Scott and a girl sitting next to him are laughing.

    “I did not know Scott had a sister?”

    “Hey stupid, that’s Sharon Moran.” He punches me in the arm.

    “Creepy and Scary Tales: A Collection of Short Stories”

    Q: Tell me something about yourself that is separate from writing.

    A: In Kindergarten, my dad took the whole family to Bourges, France for six months because he was in charge of a foreign exchange program. I went to a French school and had several friends. When I returned to New Hampshire, I did not know English.

    Q: Who are your top THREE favorite authors?

    A: Ernest Hemmingway, Lee Child, and R.L. Stine

    Q: What is the last book that you read? (Not counting anything you wrote)

    A: The Girl Who Cried Monster

    Q: When writing, do you have a system or something you plan, or do you just write?

    A: I draw a picture of every scene that is going to happen in my book. I add as much detail as I can think of. My pictures are not any good. A Kindergartener could draw a better picture.

    Q: Why do you write?

    A: I write because I love to write. It is a passion of mine. It is the first thing I think about in the morning and the last thing I think about at night.

    Q: Do you currently have a WIP? If yes, what’s the title, and is it part of a series or standalone?

    A: I am currently working on “Vampire Juice>” I am hoping it will turn into a novella. If not, it will become part of a short story collection.

    Q: Do you read your own work a lot? If so, what does it do for you?

    A: I wouldn’t say I read my own work a lot. But I do read it to see how I have grown as a writer.

    Q: I play music when I write, and depending on the setting or mood of the story depends on what I listen to. Do you listen to music when you write? If so, what genre or artist/band do you listen to?

    A:

    Q: As an author, I find that the hardest thing to write (for me) is the blurb that will be on the back cover or book’s description. When you write, what is the hardest line to write, the first line, the last line or the synopsis for the book?

    A: I think the blurb is the hardest to write. It is mainly because I have to give the reader just enough information to be intrigued, but not so much information that it gives away the entire plot.

    Q: If you could sit down and have a coffee (or your favorite beverage) with anyone, living or dead, from any era, any time, who would it be and why? (You can pick up to 3 persons).

    A: I would love to sit down with Edgar Allan Poe. He had a very vivid imagination along with being just a tad off his rocker.

    Q: What does it mean to be a “successful” writer?

    A: In my opinion, I am already successful because people have read my works.

    Q: What do you want to accomplish, so when you look back at your life, you can say “I did that”?



    Feel free to add your website link and any social media links below this line:

    https://www.amazon.com/Reuben-Shupp/e/B092MWNS18

    https://twitter.com/rshupp50

    https://www.linkedin.com/in/reuben-shupp-7a0a961b8/

    https://www,instagram.com/reubenashupp
    See more
campaign Request update 0
Spider House
PG
1.9K
0
0
867
0

swap_vert

Spidey (What his friends call him.) explores a haunted house at the fair. I hope you are not scared of spiders.

favorite
coins
0 likes
Be the first to like this issue!
swap_vert

X