×

Penana
search
Loginarrow_drop_down
Registerarrow_drop_down
Please use Chrome or Firefox for better user experience!
campaign Request update 0
Crete Things To Do
PG-13
2.3K
0
0
2.1K
0

As the largest island in Greece, Crete has quite a bit to offer travelers. Rugged mountains stretch across the island while olive trees fill the valleys. Visitors often indulge in the local cuisine, long celebrated for its healthy qualities, and embrace the country’s artistic culture by purchasing handmade pottery and jewelry. Additionally, the many ruins left behind by ancient civilizations like the Minoans can be explored throughout the island. All in all, Crete’s rich history and stunning locale is enough to make anyone want to hop on the next plane over, but what really draws the crowds are the numerous beaches lining the shore. Here are the top sandy stretches to hit next time you find yourself on the Mediterranean island.


Vai Beach
This beach at Crete's northeastern tip is famous for its palm trees–there are so many you may fool yourself into thinking you're in the Caribbean. The summer season brings large crowds, and the beach is often packed tight with sunbathers. Instead, beat the masses and arrive in the early morning or plan your trip for the early spring or late autumn.

Balos Beach
Relax on the soft white sand lining this beach in northwestern Crete. From the lagoon, you can see the island of Gramvoussa. If you’re feeling adventurous, venture to the top of the island where the remains of a Venetian castle offer stunning views of the surrounding area.

Frangokástello Beach
A Venetian castle, long used to guard the town against pirates, anchors this beach on the southern coast. The area’s history is rich and visitors can explore the castle as well as other ruins after a day on the beach. According to locals, you may even catch a ghost roaming the castle from time to time.

Mýrtos Beach
Mýrtos has been luring bohemian sun-seekers since the 1960s, and the laid-back vibe still exists today. You’ll find sunbathers lounging on the numerous free sunbeds scattered across the beach. Additionally, the surrounding area is known for multiple ancient Minoan sites. Make sure to check them once you’ve had enough sun.

Elafonísi Beach
The turquoise water is beautifully contrasted by pink-tinted sand (pictured above), making this beach on the southwestern tip of the island extremely Instagram-worthy. You’ll find yourself wading through warm water with access to multiple white sandbars or the natural islet sheltering the beach from rough waters. Elafonísi draws large crowds throughout the year, particularly in the summer months. So, if you want seclusion, head there in the spring.


Activities


Paragliding in Crete

An experienced pilot and instructor will give you some simple instructions and after a few fast steps forward you will experience the incredible feeling of flying like a bird! Sit back and enjoy your smooth flight with amazing panoramic views in locations in Western and Central Crete!
If you are an adrenaline lover, don’t hesitate to ask your pilot for some adventure in the air! He will be more than happy to please you!


Scuba Diving in Western Crete
The tour begins with a transfer to the diving center for a 20minutes theory lesson and full equipment. Then a transfer to the beach where we start from follows, and after some easy exercises in shallow water in order for you to be familiarized with the equipment our undersea adventure begins! The dive itself lasts 20 – 30 minutes in really calm and crystal clear waters and it is up to 12 meters. An experience for all family that will accompany you back home.

Mountains Cycling
A trip for cyclists who love the mountainous off-road hills! A route along the ridges and foothills of the White Mountains in a 980m altitude, with amazing panoramic views of the north west part of Crete. A 3000 years old olive tree, spring waterfalls, wild goats and birds of pray are some of the highlights of this tour.


Balos Lagoon and Gramvousa Island Day Cruise
Departure from Kissamos port and after about an hour on boat with amazing views of the Kissamos golf, we reach Gramvousa, the pirates’ island. There, you shall stay for about 2 hours and you can either walk to the Venetian castle or stay at the beach or on boat to enjoy the views and swim in the cool crystal clear water of the island. Gramvousa is also ideal for snorkeling, especially around the old shipwreck. Then we get on boat again and after 20 min we reach Balos lagoon where you spend about 3 hours swimming in the lukewarm, shallow, turquoise blue waters, relax in the pink sandy beach, which is filled with shells, and admire the natural beauty, the rocks and the cliffs rising above you!


How to Get to Crete


Crete is the largest and most popular island in Greece, located in the southern Aegean Sea that hosts millions of passengers from around the world each year. It can be easily accessed by any of the two major international airports in Heraklion and Chania or the smaller airport in Sitia. It can also be reached from the ferry dock ports located in Heraklion, Chania, Rethymno, Sitia and Kissamos. 
Once you arrive to the island, avoid the inconvenience of waiting for a bus or taxi and rent a car Heraklion so you can begin your journey on the island. You can rent a car Chania from any of the well-known car hire agencies including Hertz, Avis, Budget and Imperial Car Rental. If you don’t know your way around the island, request that a GPS device be included in your rent a car Hersonissos. It is the best way to come and go as you please to any and all locations you desire easily with no hassle or delays.

favorite
coins
0 likes
Be the first to like this issue!

X