×

Penana
search
Loginarrow_drop_down
Registerarrow_drop_down
Please use Chrome or Firefox for better user experience!
campaign Request update 0
Hidden Twinge
G
2.1K
0
0
416
1

swap_vert

In africa, getting married in your thirties is considered late, nearly all mothers with daughters in that circle of age, find themselves fasting consecutively, going to churches, traditional homes, mosque, rolling on the floor, praying for a miracle to come down from heaven.

How do i know this? Because i used to belong in that age circle but, here i am now, watching my mother-in-law, aunt, and uncle preach to me on forgiveness.

Naimah, my daughter, you seen ehn, men are polygamous in nature, you'll have to forgive your husband oh, one more thing, this lady is two months pregnant with a bouncing baby boy on the way, my husband aunt added.

Yes she is, they all mumbled together & its a sin to opt for an abortion his aunt finalized.

[NAIMAH HAD A FLASH BACK TO THE TIME AT THE HOSPITAL]

The doctor interlocked his hands and sighed deeply, i recognize that look, its one of despair and bad news. Have been married to my husband for Two years now and every attempt to get pregnant turned out to be futile so my friend Rachel convinced me to see a doctor she claims is a miracle worker. Have been to different hospitals and, the last hospital i visited heals their patients with herbs so i was fortunate to eat this bitter concoction that got me sick for two weeks, it could have been avoided but i did nothing to stop it from happening unlike this time around, i decided to strike a deal with her promising this will be the last time she will force me to see a doctor. I know whatever she is doing, is at my own best interest but i have literally lost faith in any treatment repairing whatever damage my body is struggling with and, i secretly hope that maybe this time, a miracle will definitely happen. 

Doctor, i paused, noticing how his face wasn't hinting me about what the results say. Can you please tell me what the results say i asked politely. Meanwhile i was shrieking at the probability of it been a good news or a bad news but, whatever the case may be, the results is right in front of me.

Mrs Naimah, are you not married?

I scrunched my eyebrows together, what kind of a stupid question is he asking & how does that explain my inability to conceive? I cleared my throat, and respectfully asked, what do you mean Doctor, of cause am a married woman.

He looked unconvinced and disappointed with my answer, why should he, am slowly starting to get angry with this man in front of me. Who is he to judge, couldn't he see the  golden wedding ring on my finger? I re-adjusted myself and folded my hands on his table , his eyes for a second went to my ring and he slightly smacked his palm on his face in guilt i suppose.

Mam, i do not mean to doubt you he said sounding genuinely but, the test results in my hands, shows that you have been overdosed on contraceptives.

What? 

Did i hear you right doctor?

Doctor, contrac- what?

How....?

[END OF FLASHBACK]

Won't you say something, my mother in-law asked, nudging my shoulders to speak up, I never knew this day will come, I can't even believe this is the woman i took like my mother.

I looked at my husband and immediately, he looked elsewhere, scratching his hair and wiping his hands on his lap, guilt was written all over his face.

We understand no woman in her right frame of mind will accept or wish this on her daughter but i guarantee you, we had a family meeting, we have all spoken to your husband and he has promised us it won't happen again. So my daughter please forgive him and let's move on.

Besides, you know, she's here to assist you since, you cannot get pregnant, uncle dele, said. I instantly snapped my head to his direction in bewilderment.

The others tried to caution him but he nudged them back saying, what? Are we not here to tell her the truth, see ehn, let's call a spade a spade, please.

I held back the tears threatening to come out, & out of no where, i asked, where is the woman my husband impregnated & the argument between my in-laws stopped.

My mother in-law quickly signaled to Aunt Kemi to bring her in but, uncle dele beat her to it  while we all waited patiently.

Seconds turned into minutes, and like keys jingling in my ear, i suddenly hear an unexpected familiar voice say, good afternoon my in-laws.

Looking up, i see my best friend Lola, staring back at me.

favorite
coins
0 likes
Be the first to like this issue!
swap_vert

X